Monthly Brush Collection
Beginning in December 2017, the Town of Christiansburg will offer complimentary curbside brush collection to all residential properties within town limits. Collection will take place once a month beginning on the first Monday of the month, following a schedule outlined below. Residents must have brush piles placed out by 7 a.m. on the Monday of their collection week.
This service is for Town residential properties only- including residents who choose not to have solid waste collection - and is available at no additional cost. In addition to the brush collection service, the Town of Christiansburg will be giving away the wood chips produced from this service to residents during “Leaf Give-A-Way” events scheduled throughout the year.
For this service, brush is hereby defined as tree limbs/logs from trimming or pruning trees.
All collected brush must pass through a wood chipper, so the following will not be accepted: leaves, weeds, grass clippings, vines, other yard waste and construction materials. These items can be collected during Spring/Fall cleanup or by scheduling a special pickup through the Public Works department.
Materials NOT Accepted:
The Town of Christiansburg will collect brush for two weeks beginning the first Monday of each month.
The brush collection schedule is divided into two quadrants identified as North and South. The North quadrant will be collected during the first week, and the South quadrant will be collected during the second week.
Residents must have brush piles set out by 7 a.m. on the Monday of their collection week. In the event of high brush volume, residents can expect brush collection delays, but crews will continue collection until all routes are complete. Unlike Fall and Spring Cleanup, crews will not visit a residence more than once during the two week period. It's imperative brush piles are placed out by 7 a.m. on the Monday of your collection week.
If you're located in the North quadrant, please place your brush pile out by 7 a.m. on the first Monday of the month. If you live in the South quadrant, please place your brush pile out by 7 a.m. on the second Monday of the month.
- Brush collection service will not take place during the months of April and October due to Spring and Fall cleanup.
- Brush will not be collected on observed holidays and will resume the following business day.
- Brush collection service will be suspended until the following month if weather conditions - such as snow, severe storms, flooding, etc. - do not permit collection.
- Notification will be provided through the Town of Christiansburg website if brush collection services are interrupted or suspended for any reason. Visit this list to sign up for Town of Christiansburg News and Announcement website notifications.
The following requirements must be met for this collection service. Any brush piles not meeting these requirements will not be collected and will be subject to the Town of Christiansburg’s Debris, Weeds, and Wild Growth regulations found in Chapter 24, Article 3 of the Town code.
- This service is for routine cleanup and is not designated for contractors and/or residents clearing lots for homes, private roads, entrances or open space.
- Brush collected from outside of Town limits or through private or commercial operations will not be accepted.
- Junk, vines, weeds, leaves, or yard waste will not be collected. These items can be collected during Spring/Fall cleanup or by scheduling a special pickup through the Public Works department.
- No construction or building materials will be accepted, including lumber, fence posts, railroad ties, brick, etc.
- Tree stumps, root balls, dirt, rocks, and logs greater than 10 inches in diameter are not permitted.
- Brush must be placed within five feet of Town maintained streets and must not interfere with sidewalks, drainage ditches/drains, water meters, or sewer cleanouts.
- Brush collection crews will not go onto private property, private drives, or private streets to collect piles.
- Brush/Branches must be neatly stacked perpendicular to the street (no cross stacking) with larger ends facing the street. See pictures below showing the correct and incorrect way to stack.
- Brush/Branches must be free of nails, screws, wire, or any other non-wood items.
- Brush/Branches must be cut to lengths of no more than 6 feet long.
- Residents must have their brush piles set out by 7 a.m. on the Monday of their scheduled collection week and may not place brush piles out any earlier than the Saturday prior to the scheduled brush collection week.
- Residents are limited to one brush pile per month, and the pile size cannot exceed 10 feet long x 5 feet tall in total size.
Please contact Public Works at 540-382-1151 if you have any questions or concerns.