Curbside recycling is here!
The Town of Christiansburg is excited to introduce single-stream curbside recycling service beginning in July.
*NOTE: Garbage and recycling scheduled to be collected on Wednesday, July 4, will be collected on Tuesday, July 3, along with Tuesday's regular collection. *
The Town has signed a contract with Waste Industries, a solid waste and recycling collection company that will pick up recycling every other week from all residents currently registered for garbage collection through the Town. These residents will be provided with a blue recycling cart prior to the service start date.
As a single-stream service, all recyclables are allowed. Residents can recycle newspapers, cardboard, cereal and tissue boxes, glass bottles and jars, metal cans, and certain plastics together in their carts. Currently, the following are not accepted: #3-7 plastics, aluminum food containers, shredded paper, electronics, styrofoam, plastic bags, food waste or cords and wires.
Curbside recycling will begin in July. Waste Industries will collect recycling every other week and will follow the Town’s regular garbage collection schedule. This means if your garbage is scheduled to be collected on Mondays, your recycling will be picked up every other Monday. A calendar with your exact collection dates will be attached to your recycling cart when it is delivered during the first two weeks of June. Click here to view the calendar online.
All town residents can receive curbside recycling, and all residents currently registered for garbage collection will be automatically registered for curbside recycling. While garbage collection through the Town of Christiansburg is not mandatory for residents, those who have the service will be required to have curbside recycling. Residents who do not wish to have curbside recycling have the option of canceling their garbage collection service.
Offering curbside recycling has long been a goal for the Town of Christiansburg, and it speaks directly to our Destination 2022 vision of being a "Clean and Green, Healthy and Safe" community. We know our community is recycling regularly – our five recycling collection sites are almost always full. We want to offer this service to continue encouraging this good behavior, while making the actual action of recycling easier for our residents. We feel it’s important to promote environmental sustainability, and it’s another way we are looking to improve the quality of life in our community.
There are two recycling cart sizes available – 96 gallons and 65 gallons. Residents will receive the cart size that matches their current solid waste cart. For example, if you currently have a 96-gallon garbage cart, you will receive the 96-gallon recycling cart. If you currently have a 48-gallon garbage cart, you will receive the 65-gallon recycling cart. Customers currently paying for two solid waste carts will receive two recycling carts. Please remember to place your cart correctly so crews are able to pick it up!
To accommodate curbside recycling, there will be a $5 increase to the garbage collection fee, increasing monthly service from $17 to $22, beginning July 1.
- Can I sign up for curbside recycling and not garbage collection?
- Can I sign up for garbage collection and not curbside recycling?
- How do I cancel my curbside recycling service?
- If I cancel my garbage collection service, what will I do with my trash?
- How will curbside recycling affect my utility bill?
- How do I sign up for curbside recycling?
- What will I do if I am physically challenged and unable to get my container to the street?
- Will you be keeping the recycling drop sites in Town?
- Is curbside recycling available for businesses?
- When will my curbside recycling pickup be?
- When will curbside recycling start?
- When will I get my recycling cart?
- What size cart will I receive?
- I have two garbage carts but only want one recycling cart. What can I do?
- Do I have to receive a recycling cart?
- What if I want a different size cart?
- Where should I place my cart out on my pickup day?
- What time do I have to have my cart out on the curb on my recycling day?
- Where should I store my cart?
- What should I do if my cart is damaged or stolen?
- Should I place a bag in my cart before filling it with recyclables?
- Can I recycle...
- Do I leave the lid on my containers or take them off before recyling?
- Do I have to rinse containers?
- Do I need to remove labels before recyling an item?
- Can I recycle plastic?
- Can I recycle glass?