Curbside recycling is here!
The Town of Christiansburg introduced single-stream curbside recycling service in July 2018.
The Town signed a contract with Waste Industries, a solid waste and recycling collection company that picks up recycling every other week from all residents registered for garbage collection through the Town. New customers will be provided a blue recycling cart prior to their service start date.
As a single-stream service, all recyclables are allowed. Residents can recycle newspapers, cardboard, cereal and tissue boxes, glass bottles and jars, metal cans, and certain plastics together in their carts. Currently, the following are not accepted: #3-7 plastics, aluminum food containers, aluminum foil, shredded paper, electronics, styrofoam, plastic bags, food waste or cords and wires.
Waste Industries collects recycling every other week and follows the Town’s regular garbage collection schedule. This means if your garbage is scheduled to be collected on Mondays, your recycling will be picked up every other Monday. If you are a new customer, a calendar with your exact collection dates will be attached to your recycling cart when it is delivered. Click here to view the calendar online, or see below. Magnet versions of this calendar are available for pickup at Town Hall, the Christiansburg Recreation Center and the Christiansburg Aquatic Center.
All town residents can receive curbside recycling. While garbage collection through the Town of Christiansburg is not mandatory for residents, those who have the service will be required to have curbside recycling. Residents who do not wish to have curbside recycling have the option of canceling their garbage collection service.
Offering curbside recycling was a long-time goal for the Town of Christiansburg, and it speaks directly to our Destination 2022 vision of being a "Clean and Green, Healthy and Safe" community. We know our community was already recycling regularly – our five recycling collection sites were almost always full. We wanted to offer this service to continue encouraging this good behavior, while making the actual action of recycling easier for our residents. We feel it’s important to promote environmental sustainability, and it’s another way we are looking to improve the quality of life in our community.
There are two recycling cart sizes available – 96 gallons and 65 gallons. Residents receive the cart size that matches their solid waste cart. For example, if you have a 96-gallon garbage cart, you will receive the 96-gallon recycling cart. If you have a 48-gallon garbage cart, you will receive the 65-gallon recycling cart. Customers paying for two solid waste carts will receive two recycling carts. Please remember to place your cart correctly so crews are able to pick it up!
To accommodate curbside recycling, there was a $5 increase to the garbage collection fee, increasing monthly service from $17 to $22, beginning July 2018.
Recycling Drop Sites
The Town of Christiansburg maintains five recycling drop-off sites:
- Cambria Street Northeast, near the intersection with North Franklin Street
- Home Depot parking lot (200 Conston Ave. NW)
- Christiansburg Elementary School (160 Wades Ln.)
- Food Lion parking lot (1530 Roanoke St.)
- Christiansburg High School (100 Independence Blvd. NW)
- Can I sign up for curbside recycling and not garbage collection?
- Can I sign up for garbage collection and not curbside recycling?
- How do I cancel my curbside recycling service?
- If I cancel my garbage collection service, what will I do with my trash?
- How will curbside recycling affect my utility bill?
- How do I sign up for curbside recycling?
- What will I do if I am physically challenged and unable to get my container to the street?
- Will you be keeping the recycling drop sites in Town?
- Is curbside recycling available for businesses?
- When will my curbside recycling pickup be?
- When will curbside recycling start?
- When will I get my recycling cart?
- What size cart will I receive?
- I have two garbage carts but only want one recycling cart. What can I do?
- Do I have to receive a recycling cart?
- What if I want a different size cart?
- Where should I place my cart out on my pickup day?
- What time do I have to have my cart out on the curb on my recycling day?
- Where should I store my cart?
- What should I do if my cart is damaged or stolen?
- Should I place a bag in my cart before filling it with recyclables?
- Can I recycle...
- Do I leave the lid on my containers or take them off before recyling?
- Do I have to rinse containers?
- Do I need to remove labels before recyling an item?
- Can I recycle plastic?
- Can I recycle glass?