Go To Search
GovernmentCulture & RecreationResidentsBusinessHow Do I?
Click to Home
FacebookTwitterRSS
EmailPrint
History of Police Dept
Early Sergeants
Some of the tasks of the early sergeants were to collect fines and taxes, keep farm and domestic animals under control, carry out health inspections, clean the streets, call out the time, arrest drunks, and keep the peace. Another task was to maintain the oil street lamps that were located on top of tall wood poles.

The Town Charter was amended on March 16, 1916, to provide for the election of a sergeant, and the charter was changed in 1936 to allow for the position to be filled by appointment by the town council.

Past Sergeants
Some of the sergeants have been:
  • R. M. Gardner in 1874
  • W. Marcellus Dunklee in 1882
  • Henry E. Leckie in 1884
  • Edwin A. Tibbs from 1885 to 1892
  • E. M. Gardner from 1892 to 1897
  • Harry L. Tuggle from 1898 to 1901 
  • A. L. Epperly from 1901 to 1904
  • B. L. Haymaker
  • J. S. Rangeley
  • J. W. Stone
  • D. M. Sumner
  • Charles M. Lindsay
  • K.R. Ashworth
  • D. B. Mannoni

Department History
The number of town police officers has increased over the years, from one officer in 1929, two in 1935, four in 1947, five in 1958, 17 in 1980, 31 in 1990, 37 officers in 1999, and 57 in 2011.

The town paid $694.77 in 1941 for a new police car, an eight cylinder Ford Deluxe Tudor Sedan.

Two police officers were killed while on duty protecting the town’s citizens: Terry L. Griffith, 37, in 1994; and Scott Allen Hylton, 43, in 2003.

Police Chiefs
The police chiefs have been:
  • J. W. Stone in 1935
  • Harrison L. Dailey from 1941 to 1942
  • H. H. Kirkner in 1942
  • J. C. Anderson in 1945
  • Harrison L. Dailey from 1945 to 1951
  • Grover A. Teel from 1951 to 1976
  • Alvin L. Hale from 1976 to 1990
  • Ronald L. Lemons from 1990 to 1999
  • Gary L. Brumfield from 1999 to 2005
  • Mark A. Sisson from 2007 to present