Go To Search
GovernmentCulture & RecreationResidentsBusinessHow Do I?
Bi-Annual Clean Up FAQs
I have items I need picked up! Do I set them out with my regular trash?
Yes, just make sure these items are separated from your regular trash. Place items within 10 feet of the street pavement.

Items are typically collected on your regular pick up day. On occasion, the special collections truck runs a little behind schedule due to high volume of materials. If it is nearing the end of the clean-up cycle and your materials have not been collected, please call (540) 382-1151.

Also remember to separate materials by type. Pile bagged leaves, tree limbs and trimmings in separate piles. Pile tree limbs, 4-inches in diameter and smaller, separate from logs and tree limbs larger than 4-inches. Logs must be no longer than 4 feet. Please remove all limbs. Do not block drainage ditches, gutters and sidewalks, water meters and sewer cleanouts.

What items will the Town pick up?
The Town will pick up the following items:
  • Furniture
  • Appliances, including sinks and tubs (limit 2 per household)
  • Passenger car & truck tires (limit 4 per household; no larger than 20-inches)
  • Tire rims (no limit)
  • Tree limbs, trimmings, brush
  • Tree stumps
  • Leaves (bagged only) - If you do not want to bag your leaves, you can place loose leaves out during Leaf Pickup, which typically runs in November and December, weather permitting. 
  • Landscape timbers
  • Paint cans and sealer cans (only if open and dry)
  • Barrels / drums (only if dry, ends are removed and did not contain hazardous material)
  • Railroad ties / timbers (limit 5 per household)

What items will not be picked up?
The Town will not pick up any of the following items: 
  • Construction and demolition materials (including, but not limited to, wood, metal, concrete, stone, etc.)
  • Heavy machinery
  • Automobile parts
  • Kerosene heaters
  • Fuel oil tanks of any size
  • Commercial truck, tractor/trailer tires
  • Hazardous household wastes (such as paint, pesticides and cleaning chemicals)
  • Tree/brush materials associated with land/lot clearing for construction
  • Electronic components such as televisions and computers

I want to throw out an item not on the list. What should I do?
We are happy to help ensure all of your items are acceptable for pick up. Please call the Town at (540) 382-1151.

Will the Town pick up household waste?
The Town does not pick up household hazardous waste. Please do not include these items to be picked up. 

Hazardous household waste disposal (including paint, pesticides and cleaning chemicals) events are held the third Saturday of each month at the Montgomery Regional Solid Waste Authority. 

For information on how to dispose of household hazardous waste, please visit the Montgomery Regional Solid Waste Authority at their website.  

What can I do with my old paint?
Please do not include any paint for pick up.

For information on how to dispose of old paint, please contact the Montgomery Regional Solid Waste Authority by calling (540) 381-2820 or visiting their website.

What do I do with electronic waste?
If you have electronic waste (i.e. televisions, computers), please contact the Montgomery Regional Solid Waste Authority by calling 540-381-2820 or visiting their website.