Go To Search
GovernmentCulture & RecreationResidentsBusinessHow Do I?
Click to Home
Secondhand Building Fixtures
Code of Virginia § 59.1-117 requires a permit to be obtained and held by any person selling or acquiring any secondhand building fixtures.
What are Secondhand Building Fixtures?
The Code of Virginia defines secondhand building fixtures as follows: 

secondhand heating or plumbing fixtures or supplies, electric fixtures or any wiring, gas fixtures or appliances, water faucets, pipes, locks, bathtubs, gutters, downspouts, or other secondhand fixtures of whatever kind or description pertaining to a building or structure.

If the material is a metallic fixture or object that is physically attached to a building or structure and not simply plugged into an electrical outlet, it is considered a secondhand building fixture.

What are not considered Secondhand Building Fixtures?
metal cans; vehicle parts; electric appliances like refrigerators, stoves, and washing machines; window air conditioning units; metal furniture; batteries; tools; lawn mowers

Who Needs a Permit? 
There are two types of permits that may be required for selling or obtaining secondhand building fixtures. 

Permit for Sale or Acquisition of Secondhand Building Fixtures 

The first of these permits is required for "non-exempt persons, businesses or entities who sell, buy or obtain (even if free, "picked", or found) secondhand building fixtures." This permit is required for persons who may occasionally sell secondhand building fixtures, but do not exceed 600 pounds of material or 26 transactions over the course of a year. 

The process of obtaining this type of permit is simple. 

Download and complete the Permit for Sale or Acquisition of Secondhand Building Fixtures. You may also pick up a permit application at the Christiansburg Police Department, 10 East Main St. 

**Please remember that this form must be filled out each time you take material to the scrapyard.

You will not be required to obtain this permit if you fall under the exemptions listed below (Reference Virginia Code 59.1-123).

Exemptions - Permit Not Required for:

1. The sale of secondhand material mentioned in 
§ 59.1-117 taken from premises occupied by
    the owner, when sold by such owner on the premises, or the sale of such articles when 
    purchased from a public utility corporation at its place of business or a governmental agency; 

2. Scrap metal processor (see definition below) as provided in Article 4 (§ 59.1-136.1 et seq.); 

3. Authorized scrap sellers (see definition below); 

4. Public utilities; 

5. Public transportation companies; 

6. Industrial and manufacturing companies; 

7. Marine, automobile, and aircraft salvage and wrecking companies; or 

8. Governmental entities;

9. Peddlers (referred to in the Code as "Dealers" or "Junk Dealers") permitted under § 59.1-118.

If you are classified as a peddler, "dealer" or "junk dealer", you will need to obtain a Secondhand Building Material Dealer Permit. 

Secondhand Building Material Dealer Permit 

To become a junk dealer you must apply for an annual permit with the Christiansburg Police Department. Persons who regularly sell secondhand building fixtures that total over 600 pounds of material or 26 transactions over the course of a year are considered junk dealers. 

Even though junk dealers are exempted from obtaining a permit for the individual sale or acquisition of secondhand building fixtures/materials, they are still required by law to keep a detailed record of their transactions.

To obtain a junk dealer permit, fill out the dealer permit application and turn into the Christiansburg Police Department. The applicant will then be given a permit number. Junk dealers must report any transactions to the Christiansburg Police Department on each Friday by 5 p.m. 

The junk dealer permit application and reporting forms are available below or may be picked up at the Christiansburg Police Department, 10 East Main St. 

Secondhand Building Material Dealer Permit Application

Secondhand Building Fixtures Transaction Form 


Junk Dealer - a person who regularly engages in the business of purchasing, acquiring, or canvassing secondhand building material, including all nonferrous scrap metal, proprietary articles, or both, for the purpose of resale and has conducted transactions involving, or has offered for sale, more than 600 pounds combined weight of secondhand building material or enters into more than 26 combined transactions annually. 
§ 59.1-116.1 

Authorized Scrap Seller - any licensed plumber, electrical contractor, HVAC contractor, or building and construction contractor. § 59.1-116.1 

Scrap Metal Processor - means any person who is engaged in the business of processing motor vehicles into scrap for remelting purposes who, from a fixed location, utilizes machinery and equipment for processing and manufacturing ferrous and nonferrous metallic scrap into prepared grades, and whose principal product is metallic scrap.§ 46.2-1200