Facade Grant Program
In 2019, the Town of Christiansburg created a new program aimed at helping property or business owners improve their building façades and encourage investment in our historic central business areas. The Façade Grant Program, the first of its kind in the Town of Christiansburg, completed its first round in 2020 and is designed to improve the streetscape of Downtown and Cambria, strengthen partnerships with Downtown and Cambria stakeholders and encourage revitalization of older buildings.
Depending on the success and demand after the program launches, the eligible areas may be expanded beyond Downtown and Cambria, into other parts of Christiansburg.
How does it work?
Between April 21 and May 12, 2021, eligible businesses and property owners can apply for a $4,500 matching grant through the Town. The application can be found here.
A committee - comprised of Town staff, a Town Council member and members of the community - will review the applications and select five finalists to receive the $4,500 matching grants. The finalists will work with a local artist selected by the Town to draft a design concept, and once the artist's rendering has been approved by the committee, property or business owners will be required to perform or contract all building improvements within six months, or over an approved phasing schedule of nine months. Throughout the process, property or business owners will invoice the Town for work completed, up to $4,500.
Criteria to Apply
- The building should front on a street within the eligible and defined areas in Downtown and Cambria.
- The use of the subject property meets one of the goals outlined in the Comprehensive Plan, or other planning documents, such as the 2016 Urban Development Areas Report.
- The owner or agent of the subject property is making other substantial investment.
- The building should be occupied or in the process of being repaired or upgraded.
- Must be a commercial or mixed-use building (mixed use = commercial + residential).
What type of work can be done with the grant?
- Stabilization of the façade of buildings fronting on eligible streets.
- Removal of historically inconsistent materials from facades, such as wooden board, plywood, vinyl, siding, and replacement windows, if restoring original details underneath, such as transom windows.
- Restoration of original windows, replacement of windows with period-correct versions, reopening of bricked-up windows.
- Repair, restoration, or replacement of period correct architectural details such as cornices, dormers, doors, lintels, window pediments, columns, and similar details deemed to be contributing to the character of the building.
- Painting in historic or period colors.
- Restoration of historic painted signage.
- Murals on building facades fronting a public street.
- Hardscaping/Landscaping improvements in area between front of the building and the public street.
How can I learn more?
The Town of Christiansburg will be holding three public meetings to discuss the Façade Grant Program. Town staff will be on site to provide additional information about the program, answer questions and hand out applications.
- Monday, April 26, 2021, at 9 a.m. via Zoom
dial 312-626-6799, 646-558-8656, 301-715-8592, 346-248-7799, 669-900-6833 or 253-215-8782, Webinar ID: 832 9729 7093
- Thursday, April 29, 2021, at noon via Zoom
dial 312-626-6799, 646-558-8656, 301-715-8592, 346-248-7799, 669-900-6833 or 253-215-8782, Webinar ID: 891 3335 7352
- Wednesday, May 5, 2021, at 5:30 p.m. at Town Hall
A video recording of the presentation on April 26 will be available on the Town's YouTube page after the first meeting.