Rediscover Your Downtown
There’s a lot going on in Downtown Christiansburg, from our weekly Farmers’ Market (May-October) to outside goat yoga in the summer months to a winter wonderland. Take a look at some of our annual events:
- H’Arts on Main, held at Great Road on Main in the Spring
- A two-day art festival hosted by Montgomery Museum, featuring live performances and kids’ activities.
- Wine & Artisans, held on Hickok Street in the Spring
- Downtown Christiansburg Inc.’s annual celebration of local art, artisans, wine, food, and music!
- Cruisin’ Downtown, on the streets of downtown in the Spring
- Montgomery Museum’s celebration of classic cars - lined up on the streets of downtown Christiansburg!
- Rockin’ Main Street, on the streets of downtown in the Spring and Fall
- A brand new, biannual event celebrating food and music in downtown Christiansburg! Live bands will perform, and attendees can purchase yummy food and drinks from a selection of food trucks and wine and beer vendors.
- Christiansburg Farmers’ Market, Thursdays, May-October, 3-7 p.m. on Hickok Street
- Fresh produce and local products from you favorite vendors, plus live music, food trucks and local wine (on most market days).
- Goat Yoga, first Monday of every month from May-October, 5:30 p.m., Downtown Park
- Join us for free yoga sessions led by a certified yoga instructor from Crimper’s Climbing, and enjoy the company of free-ranging goats from a local farm.
- Fourth of July Celebration, July 4 on the streets of downtown
- The Town’s annual downtown Fourth of July celebration features live music, craft and business vendors, food trucks and more! Celebrate during the daylight hours with us downtown, then head to the mall area to watch fireworks at night.
- Movies off Main, select days in summer at sundown on Hickok Street
- Hosted by Downtown Christiansburg, Inc., come enjoy a free, family-friendly movie!
- Christiansburg’s Top Talent, on Hickok Street in late Summer or early Fall
- A brand new competition featuring Christiansburg’s top talent! Categories are available for both children and adults, and the top winners take home prizes.
- Heritage Day, held on Main Street and on the Montgomery Museum grounds in August
- Hosted by the Montgomery Museum, at Heritage Day you’ll find crafts, music, re-enactors, children’s activities, art for sale, a silent auction, a pie cookoff, garden tours and food for sale.
- Tech Tailgate, on Hickok Street in late Summer or early Fall
- Cheer on the Hokies with us on Hickok Street! Food, beer and wine vendors will be on site, and we’ll start the party with live music before we stream the game live on several TVs.
- Food Truck Rodeo, held on the streets of downtown Christiansburg in September
- Hosted by Downtown Christiansburg, Inc., come enjoy food from several different food trucks. Wine and beer available for purchase.
- Wilderness Trail Festival, third Saturday in September, on the streets of downtown Christiansburg
- Hosted by the Kiwanis Club, the Wilderness Trail Festival has vendors, music, food for sale and children’s activities.
- Christmas Parade and Christmas at the Market, on the streets of downtown in December
- Celebrate the holidays with the Town’s annual tree lighting, parade on Main Street, and Christmas at the Market on Hickok Street!
- Winter Wonderland, on Hickok Street in December
- New in 2019, we’ll be turning Hickok Street into a holiday wonderland. More details to come!
In addition to all the wonderful events held downtown each year, there are also several parades, including:
- Fire Prevention Parade (October)
- Christiansburg High School Homecoming Parade (October)
- Veterans Day Parade (November)
- Christmas Parade (December)
Have you seen the new artwork downtown? The businesses of Old Town Mall sponsored a fish statue installment, and the Town commissioned local artists to add some color to our streets.
In October 2018, a water meter manhole cover on the sidewalk of West Main Street in downtown Christiansburg was transformed into a horse and wagon by artist Nikki Pynn. And in November 2018, the Town unveiled its first-ever Town-sponsored mural on the front of the Christiansburg Police Department building, completed by artist Dave Mann.
Both projects were just the beginning, as the Town has continued to identify several locations in downtown and Cambria that could be painted or improved. (While you’re checking out the new additions in downtown, head over to Cambria to see two colorfully transformed storm drains).
If you’re interested in getting involved with future public art projects in Town, please contact Andrew Warren, Assistant Town Manager, at email@example.com or (540) 382-6128, ext. 1130.