FY 2020-2021 Budget Process
Draft Budget Documents
- FINAL BUDGET for FY 2020-2021 (Approved June 9, 2020)
- Draft Budget, May 1, 2020
- Presentation on Proposed Budget May 1 Draft
- Presentation given by Finance Director at May 26 Town Council meeting
- Draft Budget, April 14, 2020
- April 7, 2020 Work Session Presentation
- Summary Draft for April 7, 2020 Work Session
- Draft Budget, March 17, 2020
- Draft Budget Presentation, March 17, 2020
- Note: The Finance Director had originally planned on giving this presentation at the March 17 Town Council work session, but the work session was canceled for the health and safety of the community in regards to COVID-19 (coronavirus).
Budget Process Calendar
- Budget templates and forms were distributed to departments, and staff met to discuss the budget process.
- Departmental budget requests were due, along with end of the year expenditure estimates, personnel requests and capital outlay requests.
- Finance Director and Town Manager began reviewing budget requests and end of year expenditure estimates, holding meetings with departments as needed.
- Feb. 24: The Finance Committee held a meeting to discuss the status of the current FY 19-20 budget and a potential budget amendment; salary and wages; and the FY 20-21 budget, including schedule and revenue outlook.
- March 17: A Town Council work session was scheduled to discuss the draft budget but was canceled for the health and safety of the community in regards to COVID-19 (coronavirus). The Finance Director emailed Town Council with a copy of the draft budget and the budget presentation she had planned to give at the work session.
- March 24: The Finance Director presented the draft budget at a regularly scheduled meeting of Christiansburg Town Council.
- April 7: Christiansburg Town Council met electronically for a work session on current operations and the proposed FY 2020-2021 budget. (Work Session Presentation; Summary Draft for Work Session).
- April 21: Christiansburg Town Council met electronically for a work session on the proposed FY 2020-21 budget (updated draft budget reviewed during the work session).
- Finance Director provided new budget draft to Town Council on May 1.
- May 16: Legal ad published in the News Messenger for a budget public hearing at the May 26 Town Council meeting.
- May 26: No public comments were received for the budget public hearing. Finance Director Val Tweedie presented on the May 1 budget draft.
- Christiansburg Town Council approved the Fiscal Year 2020-21 budget at the June 9, 2020 Town Council meeting.