Town Hall & Other Facility Operations
The Town of Christiansburg reopened facilities to the public on Monday, June 15, after several months of government facilities being closed due to COVID-19 (coronavirus) precautions.
Christiansburg Town Hall reopened with social distancing in place and face coverings required for entry, per Commonwealth of Virginia Executive Order 63. While the public is welcome in Town Hall, citizens are strongly encouraged to continue using online services when possible. Please see the information below on how to conduct business virtually with Town departments.
The Christiansburg Recreation Center and the Christiansburg Aquatic Center also reopened on June 15, with adjusted hours and operations and by appointment only (see additional details on those facilities’ operations below, or click here to make an appointment at the Aquatic Center, or click here to make an appointment at the Rec Center).
Aquatic Center Phone: 540-381- POOL (7665)
The Christiansburg Aquatic Center is open to the public with adjusted hours and operations. The Aquatic Center is currently open Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Starting July 6, the Aquatic Center will be expanding its hours and will be open Monday, Wednesday, Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.; Tuesday and Thursday, 8 a.m. to 7 p.m.; and Saturday, noon to 5 p.m. Appointments are required and will be available in time slots. Please click here to make an appointment.
Please note the following:
- The Aquatic Center will only be open for lap swim, water exercise, limited programming and - starting July 6 - household family leisure swim. The use of the slides and other water features are not permitted in this phase of reopening.
- Household family leisure swim, which will be available starting July 6, will allow families to reserve a part of the leisure pool for themselves and up to five other household members, for up to 60 minutes. Household family leisure swim reservations must include at least one person who is 18 years of age or older, but children of any age are welcome to attend, as long as at least one adult is present. A 10-foot physical distance will be required for all those outside of the household family, both in and out of the pool. For families with more than six total household members, please call the CAC for assistance with making your reservation.
- Currently, memberships are suspended, and individuals who make a reservation at the Aquatic Center must purchase a $5 daily pass. Starting July 6, monthly memberships can be purchased. Individuals who make reservations to swim or exercise at the Aquatic Center after July 6 can purchase a $5 daily pass or may purchase a monthly membership. There is no guarantee of ability to reserve facility time with a monthly membership. Household family leisure swim will be $5 per family member or will be covered by a monthly family membership.
- Therapy Pool: Currently, the therapy pool is open from 8-10 a.m. to our senior citizens and compromised populations for therapeutic exercising, with maximum occupancy of two individuals. The therapy pool is open from 10 a.m.-noon and from 1-5 p.m. to individuals over 18 years of age for therapeutic exercising, with maximum occupancy of two individuals. Reservations are required. Starting July 6, the therapy pool will still be reserved in the morning for senior citizens and compromised populations but will then be open during the times listed on Signup Genius to all individuals over 18, with a maximum occupancy of two individuals. Reservations are required and can be made in 60-minute time slots. If you have a child under 18 who has a therapeutic need for rehab or recovery from an injury, please contact the Christiansburg Aquatic Center about reserving a time in the therapy pool.
- Leisure Pool: Currently, the leisure pool is open from 8-10 a.m. to our senior citizens and compromised populations for lap swim or exercise, with maximum occupancy of four individuals. The leisure pool is open to the general public from 10 a.m.-noon and from 1-5 p.m. for lap swim or exercise, with maximum occupancy of four individuals. Reservations are required. Starting July 6, the leisure pool will still be reserved in the morning hours for senior citizens and compromised populations but will be then be open for anyone 16 years of age or older for lap swim, water exercise and household family swim during the times listed on Signup Genius, with a maximum reservation occupancy of 24 individuals. Reservations will still be required and can be made in 60-minute time slots. Household family leisure swim reservations must include at least one person who is 18 years of age or older.
- Competition Pool: Currently, the competition pool is open from 10 a.m.-noon and from 1-5 p.m. for lap swimming, with maximum occupancy of one swimmer per lane. Reservations are required. Starting July 6, the competition pool will be open for lap swimming, for anyone 16 years of age or older, during the times listed on Signup Genius, with a maximum occupancy of 66 swimmers. Reservations will be required and can be made in 60-minute time slots.
- Water Park: The water park and slides will be closed.
- Cardio Room: Currently, the cardio room is open 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., with maximum occupancy of three individuals. Reservations are required. Starting July 6, the cardio room will be open during time slots available on Signup Genius, for anyone 16 years of age or older, with a maximum occupancy of three individuals. Reservations will be required and can be made in 60-minute time slots. Some machines will not be available to ensure social distancing while working out. Please wipe the equipment you use with sanitizing wipes provided in the room. The cardio room and equipment will be disinfected by staff at least every two hours.
- FINS Summer Care: The Aquatic Center is offering FINS Summer Care for families this summer. With very limited space, FINS will be available for children ages 6-9 only. Due to current events and guidelines, spots are very limited. Operational changes have been addressed and made clear in the camp packet. Registration will be available (online only) and opens up weekly on Wednesdays. With very limited space, it is advised that you check our registration system for availability prior to filling out all necessary paperwork. Please visit www.christiansburg.org/register for more information.
- Swim Lessons: Though swim lessons are permissible in phase three, in light of the physical distancing requirements still in place within the pool environment, the mask requirements inside the building, and taking the health and safety of both our patrons and staff into consideration, the Christiansburg Aquatic Center will not be offering swim lessons during phase three at this time.
- Please enter the Aquatic Center using the main entrance. You will be allowed in five minutes prior to your reservation period. Symptomatic individuals will not be permitted in the building.
- Please maintain a physical distance from others of at least 10 feet. Please follow the physical distancing guides on the floor leading to the front desk.
- Face coverings are required upon entry and exit of the building in accordance with Gov. Ralph Northam’s face covering requirements and exceptions. Face coverings are not required nor recommended while swimming or working out.
- Please come pre-showered and dressed to swim. Please plan to towel dry and exit the building without showering or changing.
- Christiansburg Aquatic Center towels will not be available for use. Please bring your own towel.
- Vending machines within the facility will not be accessible.
- Locker rooms will be closed. The family changing rooms will be available and will be disinfected at least every two hours. High-touch surfaces within the facility will be disinfected at least every two hours. The facility will be closed for a mid-day cleaning M/W/F (12:45-1:30 p.m.) and T/TH (12:45-2 p.m.), and an end-of-day cleaning will occur M/W/F/S (5 p.m.) T/TH (7 p.m.)
- The main entrance doors will remain locked and opened for reservation participants only.
Parks and Recreation
Recreation Center Phone: 540-382-2349
The Christiansburg Recreation Center is open to the public with adjusted hours and operations. The Rec Center is currently open Monday-Friday, 6 a.m. to 7 p.m.; Saturday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.; and Sunday, 1 to 7 p.m. Appointments are required and will be available in 45-minute time slots. You can reserve more than one time slot. Please click here to make an appointment.
Please note the following:
- Cardio Room: Reservations are required, with a maximum capacity of 10 individuals per 45-minute reservation slot. Will be closed from 10-11 a.m. each day for a deep clean.
- Weight Room: Reservations are required, with a maximum capacity of seven individuals. Will be closed from 10:15-11:15 a.m. each day for a deep clean.
- Shuffleboard Exercise Area: Reservations are required, with a maximum capacity of six individuals.
- Track: Reservations are required, with a maximum capacity of 15 people. Will be closed from 1:30-2:30 p.m. each day for a deep clean.
- Racquetball Courts: Reservations are required. Two people per court and singles games will be allowed. No shared equipment.
- Basketball Courts: Reservations are required, with a maximum capacity of eight individuals. No basketball or volleyball games are allowed. Will be closed from 1:45-2:45 p.m. each day for a deep clean. Court C and Court D will be available for pickle ball games only from 8 to 10 a.m, Monday through Friday. Reservations are required. During this time, no more than four people per court area are allowed (two playing and two waiting). No shared equipment.
- Senior Lounge: Reservations are required for television viewing or reading, with a maximum capacity of three individuals.
- Senior Activities Room: Reservations are required, with a maximum capacity of six individuals per program/class.
- Billiards Room: Reservations are required, with a maximum capacity of two individuals. Pool players will need to bring their own pool sticks. Pool balls and rack will be provided and will be sanitized before and after each reservation time slot.
- Multipurpose room and classrooms: We are continuing to introduce more indoor group fitness classes, but class participation will be limited to adhere to proper social distancing guidelines. Currently, a maximum of 11 participants will be allowed in each exercise class. Please click here to view available fitness classes and to register.
- Outdoor Classes: The Christiansburg Recreation Center will continue hosting some outdoor group fitness classes. Currently, a maximum of 11 participants will be allowed in each exercise class. Please click here to register.
- Youth Athletics: Registration for Youth Fall Athletics is open. This includes registration for Youth Tackle Football, Youth Flag Football, Cheerleading, Youth Baseball, Youth Softball, Youth Coach Pitch, and Youth Tee Ball. While registration is occurring, the start dates for participation of these programs will be determined by the guidance of each governing organization (such as VHSL, Babe Ruth/Cal Ripken, etc.). We hope to begin all sports around August/September, provided that the Governor’s Office permits these sports. If the sport is not allowed to be played this fall, refunds or re-credits will be given to the registrant. Registrations for Youth Fall Volleyball will begin at some point between Phase III and Phase IV. To register, click here, call the Recreation Center at (540) 382-2349, or visit the Recreation Center to register in person at 1600 N. Franklin Street.
- Adult Athletics: Registration for Adult Open League Slow-Pitch Softball and Adult Church League Slow-Pitch Softball is open. We will begin the season in a timely fashion provided that the Governor’s Office continues operating Phase III and Phase IV. Registrations for Fall Adult Volleyball and Fall Adult Basketball will begin at some point between Phase III and Phase IV. To register, click here, call the Recreation Center at (540) 382-2349, or visit the Recreation Center to register in person at 1600 N. Franklin Street.
- Please enter the Recreation Center using the main entrance (Door #1). You will be allowed in five minutes prior to your reservation period. Symptomatic individuals will not be permitted in the building.
- Please exit the Recreation Center using the senior area exit (Door #3).
- Please maintain a physical distance from others. Please follow the physical distancing guides on the floor leading to the front desk.
- Face coverings are required upon entry and exit of the building in accordance with Gov. Ralph Northam’s face covering requirements and exceptions. Face coverings are not required or recommended while exercising.
- Patrons must scan themselves into the Recreation Center to avoid contact with staff.
- Clean all equipment before and after use.
- Please bring your own reading materials, weight belts, yoga mats, exercise balls, etc. There will be limited accessory equipment available for shared use.
- Locker rooms and showers are closed, and Christiansburg Recreation Center towels will not be available. Please bring your own towels.
- A 15-minute deep clean of each facility area will occur at the end of each 45-minute reservation period. There will also be a daily deep clean of the entire facility at the end of each day.
All playgrounds, outside basketball courts and shelters are open. Please be advised that Christiansburg Parks and Recreation staff will be sanitizing playground equipment at all Town parks on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. However, we still recommend that if you use playground equipment, you bring hand sanitizer or wipes.
The parks will be closed at the following times for sanitization on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays:
- Downtown Park: 8-8:30 a.m.
- Depot Park: 8:30-9 a.m.
- Harkrader Sports Complex: 9-9:30 a.m.
- Wall Street Park: 9:30-9:45 a.m.
- Summit Ridge Park: 9:45-10 a.m.
- Ellett Park: 10-10:15 a.m.
- Kiwanis Park: 10:15-11 a.m.
- John Lemley Park: 11-11:15 a.m.
- Wayside Park: 11:15-11:30 a.m.
Trails remain open. Please continue to practice appropriate social distancing.
Outdoor park shelters and playing fields will be rented on limited basis. There will be no indoor court or room rentals at the current time.
Finance and Utility Payments
When entering Town Hall to conduct business, please adhere to the social distancing guides on the floor. Only five individuals will be allowed in the Finance lobby at one time - one at each of the three work stations, and two waiting. Others waiting for service will need to stand on the floor guides outside of the Finance lobby.
- The Town did not disconnect water service in March, April or May for delinquent payments; however, disconnection will resume in June.
- There are no penalties applied to March/April water, sewer and stormwater fees, if received within 90 days of due date.
- There is 0% interest on payments made for March/April stormwater utility fee for 90 days from the due date.
- The Town is temporarily waiving the $10 fee for payments taken over the phone. We’d like to encourage residents to make their payments online, via phone or mail or at our drop box outside Town Hall.
- Business, Professional and Occupational License (BPOL) forms are available online here.
- If you are a new resident requesting a water connection or if you’re moving out and are requesting a water disconnection, those forms are available online here.
Restaurants and lodging facilities provide an essential service for our residents and our larger region, and we know the COVID-19 pandemic has severely impacted their operations. Christiansburg Town Council enacted temporary tax measures for hospitality businesses.
Building, Engineering and Planning
- If possible, payment for permits shall be made by check in the drop box outside Town Hall, credit card on file or credit card by phone. The $10 service charge for phone payments by credit card has been temporarily waived.
- Field inspections will still be conducted daily as per usual.
Building Phone: 540-382-6120
- Building permits are available for download on the Building Department webpage.
- Applications for permits may be made via our website using the online permit feature or submitted through our building permit email account firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Plans can be submitted via electronic submission and directed to email@example.com with the subject line of “Plans.”
- Inspection requests may be via phone or our permit email account firstname.lastname@example.org.
Engineering Phone: 540-382-6120
- Plans will continue to be digitally submitted to email@example.com. Users may need to provide a download link for large files.
- Erosion & Sediment Control, Stormwater and other infrastructure inspections will continue as usual. Inspectors will continue to perform site inspections on the private development projects under construction.
- Standard forms and applications are available for download on the Engineering Department webpage.
Planning Phone: 540-382-6120
- Planning & Zoning applications and permit forms (including sign permits) are available for download on our Planning Department webpage.
- Permits and plats for review may be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Day Phone: 540-382-3131
After Hours Phone: 540-382-4343 (NOTE: The after hours number dials the NRV 911 Center, and dispatchers communicate with the necessary parties to address your call.)
Public safety functions, including law enforcement, fire and rescue, are still operational. However, citizens will be asked additional health screening questions by 911 operators, law enforcement, and first responders.
- The lobby to the Christiansburg Police Department will remain open; however, fingerprinting services will be suspended until further notice.
Montgomery County, Town of Blacksburg and Town of Christiansburg first responders are taking precautionary measures in an effort to prevent the spread of COVID-19. Police, fire and rescue personnel have been encouraged to wear masks or face coverings when responding to calls and interacting with the public. This change will not affect how public safety personnel operate. All police, fire and rescue agencies in Montgomery County and the two Towns will continue to respond to calls, but this added precaution will help ensure the safety of the first responders and the public.
Day Phone: 540-382-1151
After Hours Phone: 540-382-4343 (NOTE: The after hours number dials the NRV 911 Center, and dispatchers communicate with the necessary parties to address your call.)
Public Works will operate as normal. Garbage and recycling pickup will not be affected.
As authorized by Code of Virginia § 2.2-3708.2(A)(3) and the Continuity of Government Ordinance passed by Christiansburg Town Council on March 24, 2020, Christiansburg Town Council may hold necessary meetings electronically. Please sign up for Notify Me to receive alerts when public meetings are posted. The details of each meeting will be contained in the meeting posting. The meetings will also be streamed live on the Town of Christiansburg’s Facebook page at www.facebook.com/cburgvagov and will be uploaded to the Town’s YouTube page once the meetings conclude.