Town Hall & Other Facility Operations
Christiansburg Town Hall is open, with social distancing in place and face coverings required for entry, per Commonwealth of Virginia Executive Order 63. While the public is welcome in Town Hall, citizens are strongly encouraged to continue using online services when possible. Please see the information below on how to conduct business virtually with Town departments.
The Christiansburg Recreation Center and the Christiansburg Aquatic Center are also open, with adjusted hours and operations and by appointment only (see additional details on those facilities’ operations below, or click here to make an appointment at the Aquatic Center, or click here to make an appointment at the Rec Center).
Aquatic Center Phone: 540-381- POOL (7665)
The Christiansburg Aquatic Center is open Monday, Wednesday, Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.; Tuesday and Thursday, 8 a.m. to 7 p.m.; and Saturday, noon to 5 p.m. Appointments are required and will be available in time slots. Please click here to make an appointment.
General Aquatic Center Operations
- The Aquatic Center will only be open for lap swim, water exercise, limited programming and household family swim. The slide is open on the last two time slots on Saturdays only. The use of other water features is not permitted in this phase of reopening.
- Household family swim will allow families to reserve a part of the leisure pool for themselves and up to five other household members, for up to 60 minutes. Household family swim reservations must include at least one person who is 18 years of age or older, but children of any age are welcome to attend, as long as at least one adult is present. A 10-foot physical distance will be required for all those outside of the household family, both in and out of the pool. For families with more than six total household members, please call the CAC for assistance with making your reservation.
- Monthly memberships can now be purchased. Individuals who make reservations to swim or exercise at the Aquatic Center can still purchase a $5 daily pass, or may purchase a monthly membership. There is no guarantee of ability to reserve facility time with a monthly membership. Household family swim will be $5 per family member or will be covered by a monthly family membership.
- Please enter the Aquatic Center using the main entrance. You will be allowed in five minutes prior to your reservation period. Symptomatic individuals will not be permitted in the building.
- Please maintain a physical distance from others of at least 10 feet. Please follow the physical distancing guides on the floor leading to the front desk.
- Face coverings are required upon entry and exit of the building in accordance with Gov. Ralph Northam’s face covering requirements and exceptions. Face coverings are not required nor recommended while swimming or working out.
- Please come pre-showered and dressed to swim. Please plan to towel dry and exit the building without showering.
- Christiansburg Aquatic Center towels will not be available for use. Please bring your own towel.
- Locker rooms are open for quick change only. Showers are not permitted.
- High-touch surfaces within the facility will be disinfected at least every two hours. The facility will be closed for a mid-day cleaning M/W/F (12:45-1:30 p.m.) and T/TH (12:45-2 p.m.), and an end-of-day cleaning will occur M/W/F/S (5 p.m.) T/TH (7 p.m.)
- The main entrance doors will remain locked and opened for reservation participants only.
Aquatic Center Facility Operations
- Therapy Pool: The therapy pool will be reserved from 8-10:15 a.m. for senior citizens and compromised populations, with a maximum occupancy of two individuals, but will then be open during the times listed on Signup Genius to all individuals over 18, with a maximum occupancy of three individuals. Reservations are required and can be made in 60-minute time slots. If you have a child under 18 who has a therapeutic need for rehab or recovery from an injury, please contact the Christiansburg Aquatic Center about reserving a time in the therapy pool.
- Leisure Pool: The leisure pool will be reserved from 8-10:15 a.m. for senior citizens and compromised populations but will be then be open for anyone 16 years of age or older for lap swim, water exercise and household family swim during the times listed on Signup Genius, with a maximum reservation occupancy of 24 individuals. Reservations will still be required and can be made in 60-minute time slots. Household family swim reservations must include at least one person who is 18 years of age or older.
- Competition Pool: The competition pool will be open for lap swimming, for anyone 16 years of age or older, during the times listed on Signup Genius, with a maximum occupancy of 66 swimmers. Reservations will be required and can be made in 60-minute time slots.
- Water Park: The slide is open on Saturdays during the last two time slots. The use of other water features in the water park is not permitted during this phase of reopening.
- Cardio Room: The cardio room will be open during time slots available on Signup Genius, for anyone 16 years of age or older, with a maximum occupancy of three individuals. Reservations will be required and can be made in 60-minute time slots. Some machines will not be available to ensure social distancing while working out. Please wipe the equipment you use with sanitizing wipes provided in the room. The cardio room and equipment will be disinfected by staff at least every two hours.
- Swim Lessons: We are currently offering private swim lessons for individuals who were registered before COVID-19. We are catching up on these offerings before opening private swim lessons up to others.
Recreation Center Phone: 540-382-2349
The Christiansburg Recreation Center is open to the public with adjusted hours and operations. The Rec Center is currently open Monday-Friday, 6 a.m. to 7 p.m.; Saturday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.; and Sunday, 1 to 7 p.m. Appointments are required and will be available in 45-minute time slots. You can reserve more than one time slot. Please click here to make an appointment.
General Recreation Center Operations
- Please enter the Recreation Center using the main entrance (Door #1). You will be allowed in five minutes prior to your reservation period. Symptomatic individuals will not be permitted in the building.
- Please exit the Recreation Center using the senior area exit (Door #3).
- Please maintain a physical distance from others. Please follow the physical distancing guides on the floor leading to the front desk.
- Face coverings are required upon entry and exit of the building in accordance with Gov. Ralph Northam’s face covering requirements and exceptions. Face coverings are not required or recommended while exercising.
- Patrons must scan themselves into the Recreation Center to avoid contact with staff.
- Clean all equipment before and after use.
- Please bring your own reading materials, weight belts, yoga mats, exercise balls, etc. There will be limited accessory equipment available for shared use.
- Locker rooms and showers are closed, and Christiansburg Recreation Center towels will not be available. Please bring your own towels.
- A 15-minute deep clean of each facility area will occur at the end of each 45-minute reservation period. There will also be daily deep cleans of the entire facility at mid-day and at the end of each day.
Recreation Center Facility Operations
- Cardio Room: Reservations are required, with a maximum capacity of 10 individuals per 45-minute reservation slot. The 15 minutes after each reservation is allocated to custodial staff disinfecting the room. Each day, the cardio room will be closed from 9:45-10:45 a.m. for a deep clean. Please click here to make an appointment.
- Weight Room: Reservations are required, with a maximum capacity of seven individuals per 45-minute reservation slot. The 15 minutes after each reservation is allocated to custodial staff disinfecting the room. Each day, the weight room will be closed from 10-11 a.m. for a deep clean.Please click here to make an appointment.
- Shuffleboard Exercise Area: Reservations are required, with a maximum capacity of six individuals per 45-minute reservation slot. Please click here to make an appointment.
- Track: Reservations are required, with a maximum capacity of 15 people per 45-minute reservation slot. Please click here to make an appointment.
- Racquetball Courts: Reservations are required. Only single games will be allowed per 45-minute reservation slot. No shared equipment. Please click here to make an appointment.
- Basketball Courts: Reservations are required, with a maximum capacity of eight individuals (four people per half court) per 45-minute reservation slot. No basketball or volleyball games are allowed. No shared equipment. . Court C and Court D will be available for pickle ball games only from 8 to 10 a.m, Monday through Friday. Reservations are required. During this time, no more than four people per court area are allowed (two playing and two waiting). No shared equipment. Please click here to make an appointment.
- Senior Lounge: Reservations are required for television viewing or reading, with a maximum capacity of three individuals. Please click here to make an appointment.
- Senior Activities Room: Reservations are required, with a maximum capacity of six individuals per program/class. Please click here to make an appointment.
- Billiards Room: Reservations are required, with a maximum capacity of four individuals per 45-minute reservation slot. . Pool players will need to bring their own pool sticks. Pool balls and rack will be provided and will be sanitized before and after each reservation time slot. Please click here to make an appointment.
- Multipurpose room: We are continuing to introduce more indoor group fitness classes, but class participation will be limited to adhere to proper social distancing guidelines. Currently, a maximum of 11 participants will be allowed in each exercise class. Please click here to view available fitness classes and to register.
Sports and Recreation Programming Operations
- Youth Athletics: Practices have begun for youth fall baseball and softball leagues. Due to the current statutes set by the Governor's Office, the following sports are unable to be played at this time: football, cheerleading and volleyball, but Parks and Recreation continues to monitor VHSL guidlelines for these sports and all others. The anticipated start date for all other youth sports is end of 2020 to early 2021.
To register, click here, call the Recreation Center at (540) 382-2349, or visit the Recreation Center to register in person at 1600 N. Franklin Street.
- Adult Athletics: Adult softball leagues are already practicing. Registration for additional sport leagues will be available soon. To register, click here, call the Recreation Center at (540) 382-2349, or visit the Recreation Center to register in person at 1600 N. Franklin Street.
All playgrounds, outside basketball courts and shelters are open. Please be advised that Christiansburg Parks and Recreation staff will be sanitizing playground equipment at all Town parks on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. However, we still recommend that if you use playground equipment, you bring hand sanitizer or wipes.
The parks will be closed at the following times for sanitization on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays:
- Downtown Park: 8-8:30 a.m.
- Depot Park: 8:30-9 a.m.
- Harkrader Sports Complex: 9-9:30 a.m.
- Wall Street Park: 9:30-9:45 a.m.
- Summit Ridge Park: 9:45-10 a.m.
- Ellett Park: 10-10:15 a.m.
- Kiwanis Park: 10:15-11 a.m.
- John Lemley Park: 11-11:15 a.m.
- Wayside Park: 11:15-11:30 a.m.
Trails remain open. Please continue to practice appropriate social distancing.
Outdoor park shelters and playing fields will be rented on limited basis. There will be no indoor court or room rentals at the current time.
When entering Town Hall to conduct business, please adhere to the social distancing guides on the floor. Only five individuals will be allowed in the Finance lobby at one time - one at each of the three work stations, and two waiting. Others waiting for service will need to stand on the floor guides outside of the Finance lobby.
- The Town did not disconnect water service in March, April or May for delinquent payments; however, disconnection resumed in June.
- There were no penalties applied to March/April water, sewer and stormwater fees, if received within 90 days of due date.
- There was 0% interest on payments made for March/April stormwater utility fee for 90 days from the due date.
- The Town is temporarily waiving the $10 fee for payments taken over the phone. We’d like to encourage residents to make their payments online, via phone or mail or at our drop box outside Town Hall.
- Business, Professional and Occupational License (BPOL) forms are available online here.
- If you are a new resident requesting a water connection or if you’re moving out and are requesting a water disconnection, those forms are available online here.
Restaurants and lodging facilities provide an essential service for our residents and our larger region, and we know the COVID-19 pandemic has severely impacted their operations. Christiansburg Town Council enacted temporary tax measures for hospitality businesses.
Building, Engineering and Planning
- If possible, payment for permits shall be made by check in the drop box outside Town Hall, credit card on file or credit card by phone. The $10 service charge for phone payments by credit card has been temporarily waived.
- Field inspections will still be conducted daily as per usual.
Building Phone: 540-382-6120
- Building permits are available for download on the Building Department webpage.
- Applications for permits may be made via our website using the online permit feature or submitted through our building permit email account firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Plans can be submitted via electronic submission and directed to email@example.com with the subject line of “Plans.”
- Inspection requests may be via phone or our permit email account firstname.lastname@example.org.
Engineering Phone: 540-382-6120
- Plans will continue to be digitally submitted to email@example.com. Users may need to provide a download link for large files.
- Erosion & Sediment Control, Stormwater and other infrastructure inspections will continue as usual. Inspectors will continue to perform site inspections on the private development projects under construction.
- Standard forms and applications are available for download on the Engineering Department webpage.
Planning Phone: 540-382-6120
- Planning & Zoning applications and permit forms (including sign permits) are available for download on our Planning Department webpage.
- Permits and plats for review may be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Day Phone: 540-382-3131
After Hours Phone: 540-382-4343 (NOTE: The after hours number dials the NRV 911 Center, and dispatchers communicate with the necessary parties to address your call.)
Public safety functions, including law enforcement, fire and rescue, are still operational. However, citizens will be asked additional health screening questions by 911 operators, law enforcement, and first responders.
- The lobby to the Christiansburg Police Department will remain open; however, fingerprinting services will be suspended until further notice.
Montgomery County, Town of Blacksburg and Town of Christiansburg first responders are taking precautionary measures in an effort to prevent the spread of COVID-19. Police, fire and rescue personnel have been encouraged to wear masks or face coverings when responding to calls and interacting with the public. This change will not affect how public safety personnel operate. All police, fire and rescue agencies in Montgomery County and the two Towns will continue to respond to calls, but this added precaution will help ensure the safety of the first responders and the public.
Day Phone: 540-382-1151
After Hours Phone: 540-382-4343 (NOTE: The after hours number dials the NRV 911 Center, and dispatchers communicate with the necessary parties to address your call.)
Public Works will operate as normal. Garbage and recycling pickup will not be affected.
Currently, Town Council meetings are being held in-person at Town Hall. The public is welcome to attend, but there is limited seating to adhere to social distancing guidelines. There is an overflow viewing room in Town Hall where the meeting will be streamed live, for instances when there is no more remaining seating in Council Chambers.
However, as authorized by Code of Virginia § 2.2-3708.2(A)(3) and the Continuity of Government Ordinance passed by Christiansburg Town Council on March 24, 2020, Christiansburg Town Council may hold necessary meetings electronically.
Some committee, commission and board meetings are also being held electronically. Please sign up for Notify Me to receive alerts when public meetings are posted. The details of each meeting will be contained in the meeting posting.
Town Council and Planning Commission meetings are streamed live on the Town of Christiansburg’s YouTube page and will remain archived there after the meeting concludes. Council Committee meetings (Central Business District Committee; Finance Committee; Emergency Services Committee; Street Committee; and Water, Sewer, Solid Waste and Stormwater Committee) are recorded and posted to the Town's YouTube page after the meeting concludes.