Temporary Measures for Residents and Businesses
Temporary Measures for Water, Sewer and Stormwater Services
The Town of Christiansburg understands that the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic has been immediate and severe for many of our residents. The Town wants to help lessen the burden on our residents during these challenging times, and Christiansburg Town Council enacted the following temporary measures:
- There will be no penalties applied to March/April water, sewer and stormwater fees, if received within 90 days of due date.
- There will be 0% interest on payments made for March/April stormwater utility fee for 90 days from the due date.
- The Town will not disconnect water service in March, April or May for delinquent payments.
We still encourage residents to make payments on time, if possible, to avoid accumulating a larger balance. However, we want to ensure customers have reliable and clean water, and we will continue to revisit this policy in the coming weeks.
Temporary Tax Measures for Hospitality Businesses
Restaurants and lodging facilities provide an essential service for our residents and our larger region, and we know the COVID-19 pandemic has severely impacted their operations. Christiansburg Town Council enacted the following temporary tax measures for hospitality businesses:
- An increase to the discount of timely payment (regular due date) from 3% to 10% for March, April and May for meals and lodging taxes.
- Set all penalties at 0% on payments made for March, April and May meals and lodging taxes if received within 90 days of the due date. (Monthly reporting of taxes owed will still be required even in cases where payment is delayed).
- Set all interest at 0% on payments made for March, April and May meals and lodging taxes for 90 days from due date.
- The Town of Christiansburg hosted a webinar with the Roanoke Regional Small Business Development Center to discuss economic injury disaster loans and COVID-19 financial relief for small businesses. You can view a recording of the webinar here.
- Guide to SBA’s Economic Injury Disaster Loans
- Coronavirus Emergency Loans - Small Business Guide & Checklist
- Community Foundation of the NRV COVID-19 Response Grants
- NRV Working Smart. Working Safe. A Guidebook for Reopening Your Business in the Age of COVID-19