HIRING A CONTRACTOR
1.Have a clear idea of what you want done, do some homework.
2.Check out the zoning and permitting requirements.
3.How are you going to pay for the project?
4.What kind of contractor do you need?
5.Does the contractor hold the appropriate license?
6.Hire only licensed contractors. https://www.dpor.virginia.gov/LicenseLookup/
7.Review complaint history on DPOR website.
8.Get three references, review past work.
9.Get at least three bids.
10.Don’t hire a contractor that is going door-to-door.
11.Pay 10% down, or $1,000, whatever is less.
12.Hire only licensed contractors.
13.Insist on a detailed contract .
14.Refuse to pay for materials up front.
15.NEVER pull your own permit.
DOING PROJECTS AS PROPERTY OWNER
1.Do you need a permit? How about inspections?
2.Hire properly licensed subs.
3.Be sure that you are exempt from licensure.
Tip-Offs to Potential Rip-Offs
- Solicits door-to-door (you have a three-day right to cancel a contract negotiated in your home!)
- Just happens" to have materials left over from a previous job (very popular with asphalt!) or is “doing work for your neighbor down the street.”
- Pressures you into making an immediate decision
- Asks you to pay for the entire job up-front
- Only accepts cash or Venmo type payments