The Town of Christiansburg introduced single-stream curbside recycling service in July 2018.
The Town signed a contract with GFL, a solid waste and recycling collection company that picks up recycling every other week from all residents and businesses registered for garbage collection through the Town. New customers will be provided a blue recycling cart prior to their service start date.
As a single-stream service, most recyclables can be collected in one cart. Residents can recycle newspapers, cardboard, cereal and tissue boxes, glass bottles and jars, metal cans, and certain plastics (#1-2) together in their carts. Currently, the following are not accepted: #3-7 plastics, aluminum food containers, aluminum foil, shredded paper, electronics, styrofoam, plastic bags, food waste or cords and wires.
GFL collects recycling every other week and follows the Town’s regular garbage collection schedule. This means if your garbage is scheduled to be collected on Mondays, your recycling will be picked up every other Monday. If you are a new customer, a calendar with your exact collection dates listed will be attached to your garbage cart upon its delivery. Click here to view the calendar online, or see below. Magnet versions of this calendar are available for pickup at Town Hall, the Christiansburg Recreation Center and the Christiansburg Aquatic Center.
GFL follows the Town’s Holiday Solid Waste Schedule (PDF). The Town of Christiansburg publishes a yearly collection schedule that is delivered to residents with their utility bills in January. These dates are subject to change. Please stay up to date with any solid waste collection schedule changes by subscribing to the Town’s Citizen Alert service at www.christiansburg.org/alerts. Also, follow the Town on Facebook at www.facebook.com/CburgVAGov for updates.
All town residents can receive curbside recycling. While garbage collection through the Town of Christiansburg is not mandatory for residents, those who have the service also receive curbside recycling. Solid waste collection includes both garbage and recycling services for a monthly fee of $22. When you sign up for solid waste collection, you do not have to receive the recycling cart if you do not want it, but you will have to pay the $22 monthly fee regardless of if you use the recycling cart. If you do not wish to have a recycling cart, please call Finance at 540-382-9519, or you may cancel your solid waste collection services.
Offering curbside recycling was a long-time goal for the Town of Christiansburg, and it speaks directly to our Destination 2022 vision of being a "Clean and Green, Healthy and Safe" community. We know our community was already recycling regularly – our five recycling collection sites were almost always full. We wanted to offer this service to continue encouraging this good behavior, while making the actual action of recycling easier for our residents. We feel it’s important to promote environmental sustainability, and it’s another way we are looking to improve the quality of life in our community.
Recycling Drop-Off Sites
You may visit the following locations to drop off your recycling inside the designated dumpsters:
- Home Depot Site: 200 Conston Ave.
- Cambria Site: Cambria St./Palmer St. Intersection
- Christiansburg High School Site: 100 Independence Blvd.
- Betty Drive Site: Betty Dr./Depot St. Intersection
- Food Lion Parking Lot Site: 1530 Roanoke St.
- What is included in solid waste collection services?
- How do I sign up for solid waste collection service?
- Can I sign up for curbside recycling and not garbage collection or vice versa?
- How do I cancel my solid waste collection service?
- If I cancel my solid waste collection service, what will I do with my trash?
- When will my solid waste be collected?
- Will my solid waste be collected during severe winter weather?
- What will I do if I am physically challenged and unable to get my container to the street?
- Are there recycling drop sites in Town?
- Is curbside recycling available for businesses?
- When will I get my garbage and recycling carts?
- What size solid waste carts will I receive?
- Do I have to receive a recycling cart if I want solid waste services?
- What if I want a different size cart?
- Where should I place my carts on my collection day?
- What time do I have to have my cart out on my collection day?
- Where should I store my cart?
- What should I do if my cart is damaged or stolen?
- Should I place a bag in my cart before filling it with recyclables?
- What items are recyclable with curbside collection?
- Do I leave the lid on my containers or take them off before recyling?
- Do I have to rinse containers for recycling?
- Do I need to remove labels before recyling an item?
- Can I recycle plastic?
- Can I recycle glass?
- Can I recycle metal?
- What if I need additional solid waste carts?