Solid Waste & Recycling
To receive text or email notifications about holiday solid waste collection changes, please sign up for Citizens Alert and/or Notify Me. To print the collection calendar, please download this PDF. The Town’s recycling contractor follows the Town’s holiday schedule.
The Town of Christiansburg provides solid waste collection services which includes curbside garbage pickup every week and curbside recycling pickup every other week for $23 a month. Residents registered for the service receive one green garbage cart (96 gallons or 48 gallons) and one blue recycling cart (96 gallons or 65 gallons).
The $23 monthly fee for this service is billed with residents’ water and sewer service.
Please have your garbage and recycling out by 8 a.m. on your day of pickup. Garbage and recycling should not exceed the contents of your garbage and recycling carts. Please note that any garbage placed outside of the garbage cart, as well as recycling placed outside of the recycling cart, will not be picked up.
Hazardous household waste should not be set out for collection with regular household garbage.
Need to sign up for garbage collection?
Please visit Town Hall, 100 East Main Street, Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. or call 540-382-6128.
These dates are subject to change. Please stay up to date with any solid waste collection schedule changes by subscribing to the Town’s Citizen Alert service at www.christiansburg.org/alerts. Also, follow the Town on Facebook at www.facebook.com/CburgVAGov for updates.
What time should I have my carts placed curbside on collection day?
Please have your garbage and recycling carts placed curbside for collection no later than 8 a.m. on your collection day. Your garbage and recycling may not be collected if it is placed curbside any later than 8 a.m.
What time should my cart be removed from the curbside following collection?
Carts should be removed from the curbside as soon as possible following collection. Carts must be retrieved from the curbside by the end of your collection day.
What if I still have questions?
A lot of your questions about solid waste collection can be answered by our Frequently Asked Questions page. Find answers regarding signing up for service, changing cart sizes, where to place your carts, what to do during inclement weather and more.
Should you still have unanswered questions, please call 540-382-1151.
- What is included in solid waste collection services?
- How do I sign up for solid waste collection service?
- Can I sign up for curbside recycling and not garbage collection or vice versa?
- How do I cancel my solid waste collection service?
- If I cancel my solid waste collection service, what will I do with my trash?
- When will my solid waste be collected?
- Will my solid waste be collected during severe winter weather?
- What will I do if I am physically challenged and unable to get my container to the street?
- Are there recycling drop sites in Town?
- Is curbside recycling available for businesses?
- When will I get my garbage and recycling carts?
- What size solid waste carts will I receive?
- Do I have to receive a recycling cart if I want solid waste services?
- What if I want a different size cart?
- Where should I place my carts on my collection day?
- What time do I have to have my cart out on my collection day?
- Where should I store my cart?
- What should I do if my cart is damaged or stolen?
- Should I place a bag in my cart before filling it with recyclables?
- What items are recyclable with curbside collection?
- Do I leave the lid on my containers or take them off before recyling?
- Do I have to rinse containers for recycling?
- Do I need to remove labels before recyling an item?
- Can I recycle plastic?
- Can I recycle glass?
- Can I recycle metal?
- What if I need additional solid waste carts?
- What if I have more solid waste than will fit in my carts?
- What if an item is too large to fit in my solid waste carts?
- What if I move within Town?
- What areas in Town are eligible to receive solid waste collection services?
- How do I clean my carts?
- Where may I place my cart in the event that there is a snow bank at the curb?
- My solid waste was not picked up today. Why not?
- When is spring and fall clean up?