Steps to Obtaining a Residential Building Permit
- Step One: Submit permit application, contractors license, and town business license. Property owners are exempt from licensure per the requirements of VA 54.1-1101 (7), (8). (11).
- Step Two: Submit (2) two sets of building plans, soils report, engineered roof or floor truss design drawings, engineered beam or girder design drawings, subcontractor list, backwater valve certification form, plat, grading plan, stormwater control plan, and land disturbance permit.
- Step Three: Review by building, engineering and zoning.
- Step Four: Applicant will be notified upon approval. Residential permits may take up to 15 days for approval by all required departments.
- Step Five: Pickup the permit and pay associated fee's.
- Step Six : Follow the guidelines for Required Residential Inspections (PDF).
Permits for water / sewer line replacement, and electrical upgrades can be paid for when application is made provided contractor and trade certifications and business licenses are up to date. Final inspection must be requested by calling 540-382-6120.