Frequently Asked Questions

What document do I need to drop off construction debris at the landfill, and where do I find it?

You will need the Construction Debris Manifest in order to drop off construction debris at the landfill. This document is available at the Engineering/Planning/Building Inspections office at Town Hall, 100 E. Main St.

What is a plat, why do I have to submit one, and where do I get it?

A plat is a map or plan of a tract or parcel of land which is to be or which has been subdivided.

Plats are required as part of the permitting process to verify setbacks. Plats typically provide the location of easements, existing structures or other improvements on the property, and adjoining street right-of-way widths.

The Planning Department requires a copy of the plat to accompany building permit applications for all new construction, additions, decks, and storage buildings. Plats are typically attached to a property owner’s deed or referenced in the deed.

A copy of your plat may also be obtained from the records room of the Montgomery County Clerk’s office, located at 55 E. Main St.

My neighbor didn’t get a permit when they built their deck/put in a storage shed. Why do I have to?

The Building Department requires that a permit application and all applicable documentation be submitted any time a property owner constructs or hires a contractor to construct a deck, addition, garage, or storage building; or has a garage, storage building, etc. relocated onto their property.

Documents required for this type of construction include, but may not be limited to, a permit application, a copy of the plat, and a set of plans.

Property owners who do not obtain a permit and submit the appropriate documentation are in violation of the 2009 Virginia Construction Code and may be required by the Building Official to apply for a permit, submit all necessary documentation, and pay the required fee, even if the work is complete.

How much is my permit going to cost?

See our fee schedule (PDF) for a comprehensive list of permit types and associated fees.

If you’re still not sure, please call (540) 382-6120, ext. 1122.