Create a Website Account - Manage notification subscriptions, save form progress and more.
A customer's bill depends on their water and sewer usage. To view current rates, visit here. Utility service is billed on a monthly basis.
Show All Answers
The Town offers residents a garden meter (irrigation meter) for purchase at a cost of $150. The meter is attached to your exterior faucet that is used for watering. The meter is brought to Town Hall once per year, usually in October and your bill will be credited for sewer charges based on the water consumption shown on the meter. Please contact Debbie Reed or Shana Reed in the Finance Department at 382-9519 ext. 1149 or ext.1164 and schedule to pick up a garden meter.
You may also contact Finance to rent a pool meter for filling your pool. Please note that garden meters are available for purchase, but pool meters are only available for rent.
Personal property and real estate tax statements are mailed out by November 1st and are due December 5th. Town taxes are billed annually.
Supplemental bills as a result of proration are sent out periodically throughout December, January, February, March and April and are due 30 days from the date of the bill.
Yes. When you live within the town limits of Christiansburg you are taxed from both town and county, and now you can pay your taxes with the Town of Christiansburg online at www.christiansburg.org/css.
Please note that personal property taxes are prorated based upon vehicle registrations records with the DMV. If you buy, sell, or trade a vehicle during the year, your personal property taxes will be prorated for that calendar year.
Once your personal property taxes become 60 days past due they are subject to an additional $35.00 penalty fee and restrictions on your records at the Department of Motor Vehicles.
Please note that each additional copy of the bill will be clearly marked. If you receive a bill and it does not say 'Copy,' you are responsible for paying that bill and no copy has been sent to your mortgage company.
New customers will need to come to the Treasury Office at Town Hall located at 100 E. Main St. to fill out an application for service. You will need to bring a valid picture ID or driver's license. Expired forms of identification are not accepted. The Town also requires a deposit of $50.00 or higher, subject to credit. If you are renting, you will be required to present a lease/rental agreement. If you are purchasing a home, you will need to present a buyer's agreement or closing documents. If same day service is needed, please be at Town Hall by 3 p.m.
The Town accepts utility bill payments online and tax payment online. You can also come to Town Hall (100 East Main Street) and visit Finance to pay in person, at the drop box located to the left of the sliding glass doors at the entrance of Town Hall, or you may mail your payment to 100 E. Main St., Christiansburg, VA 24073.
To pay taxes online, please visit www.christiansburg.org/css.
To pay your utility bill online, please visit utilitybilling.christiansburg.org/
We are also able to accept payments via the following:
- Visa, Mastercard, and Discover debit/credit cards are accepted for payment, along with cash, checks, and money orders.
- Payments may be automatically withdrawn from your checking or savings account each month through the Direct Payment Plan. Visit the Billing & Service Office at Christiansburg Town Hall, 100 E. Main Street or www.christiansburg.org/treasury for more information.
- Payments may also be directly billed to your credit card. Visit our office at the address above for more information. Please also note: It is very important that you use your correct 12 digit account number listed on your utility statement or the PID number listed on your tax statement to assure proper application of your payment.
Please call the Town office at (540) 382-9519. Additionally, if your solid waste pickup day is on a Town observed holiday, please check the News & Announcement portion of the Town website located on the homepage here or view the Town's Facebook page for changes in solid waste collection due to observed holidays.
Yes, curbside recycling services are included in solid waste collection services. Please call Finance to sign up at 540-382-9519.
1. Have you paid your utility bill? If you did not pay your bill by the due date, you should have received a reminder. If your bill is not paid by the 10th of the following month, a day is scheduled to disconnect current service for non-payment. If this is the case, the unpaid balance (including penalty) plus a restore fee in the amount of $25.00 must be paid to have services reconnected. Please be aware, checks are not accepted as a form of payment for re-connection of service (cash, money order, debit or credit cards are accepted).
2. If the weather is very cold for several days, you could have frozen water lines. Please call the Town Hall and we can check if the water is frozen at the meter.
3. Sometimes the Town has to work on the main water lines and will disconnect water to a section of residences. Please call the Town Hall to see if we are working on or near your street.
If payment is not received or postmarked by the due date, a 10% penalty is added to the bill the next day. Bills are mailed from an outsourced printing company in Lynchburg, VA. If you do not receive your bill within the first week of the billing month, please call the Town Hall for your current balance due. We are not responsible for mail delivery. Please contact your local post office. You may also pay your bill online at utilitybilling.christiansburg.org/
1. Flush the toilet and allow the tank to refill.2. Once the tank is full, turn off the intake valve under the toilet so no more water comes in.3. Make a pencil mark at the water level inside the tank (not the bowl).4. Let the toilet sit all day (if you are gone during the day) or overnight. Make sure the toilet is not used during that time.5. After that period of time, check the water level in the tank. If the water level has dropped below the pencil mark, there is a leak at the flapper seal at the bottom of the tank and it will need to be replaced.
If you have more than one toilet in the residence, you can do the check on all the toilets but one, leaving it free for use, and then check the one after all the others have been checked.
Should you find a leak, do make arrangements for repair as soon as possible. Keep your receipts or invoices as we will need a copy for our records. Contact the Town Hall at (540) 382-9519 to notify us of your leak and/or repair.
The Town offers residents a pool meter which counts the number of gallons used to fill your pool, and that quantity will be deducted from the sewer portion of your bill upon return. Please contact Debbie Reed or Shana Reed in the Finance Department at 382-9519 ext. 1149 or ext.1156 and schedule to pick up a pool meter. Meters are available for a 48-hour loan period with a $25 deposit that will be refunded if returned on-time and in working order.
You may also contact Finance to purchase a meter for watering your garden. Please note that garden meters are available for purchase, but pool meters are only available for rent.