- Building Inspections
4/5/2022: New page added for Residential Swimming Pools.
4/7/2022- New page added for contractor and tradesman licensing.
4/7/2022- New page added for Hiring A Contractor.
NOTE: THIS PAGE IS BEING UPDATED. SOME LINKS MAY NOT WORK BUT WILL BE UPDATED WITH NEW DOCUMENTS AND INFORMATION SOON.
The Building Department’s primary goal is to provide a safe community that we all can enjoy. We strive to provide services in a courteous and professional manner to protect the health, safety and welfare of our citizens. Through education and cooperation, we strive to promote a positive working relationship with designers, developers, contractors, and property owners.
The Building Department strives to:
- Educate the public about code requirements.
- Be solution focused.
- Be a facilitator not a regulator.
- Prioritize the intent of the code when interpreting the code.
- Be consistent in interpreting the code, policies and procedures.
- Train and educate staff.
- Treat all persons fair and consistently.
- Be a resource for the community.
The Building Inspections Department provides the following services:
- Residential Building Plan Review.
- Issue Building Permits.
- Conduct Building Code Inspections. (All Trades)
- Property Maintenance Inspections.
- Final Inspections.
- Issue Certificates of Occupancy.
- Code Reviews.
NOTE: PLANS FOR COMMERCIAL BUILDINGS AND STRUCTURES SHALL BE REVIEWED BY A THIRD PARTY PLAN REVIEWER. THIS INCLUDES MEP'S, SPRINKLER AND FIRE ALARM.
Codes We Enforce:
The 2015 Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code (VUSBC) became effective September 4, 2018. THE 2018 VUSBC BECOMES EFFECTIVE JULY 1, 2022. THE GRACE PERIOD TO USE THE 2015 VUSBC IS IN EFFECT UNTIL JUNE 30, 2022.
*****NOTE: THE 2018 VUSBC WILL GO INTO EFFECT JULY 1, 2018. ALL PLANS SUBMITTED AFTER JUNE 30, 2022 MUST BE UPDATED TO REFELECT THE 2018 CODE.*****