Solid Waste: Garbage and Recycling
The Town of Christiansburg provides solid waste collection services which includes curbside garbage pickup every week and curbside recycling pickup every other week for $22 a month. Residents registered for the service receive one green garbage cart (96 gallons or 48 gallons) and one blue recycling cart (96 gallons or 65 gallons).
The $22 monthly fee for this service is billed with residents’ water and sewer service.
Please have your garbage and recycling out by 8 a.m. on your day of pickup. Garbage and recycling should not exceed the contents of your garbage and recycling carts. Please note that any garbage placed outside of the garbage cart, as well as recycling placed outside of the recycling cart, will not be picked up.
Hazardous household waste should not be set out for collection with regular household garbage.
Need to sign up for garbage collection?
Please visit Town Hall, 100 East Main Street, Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. or call 540-382-6128.
View the Garbage Collection Map (PDF) for pickup schedules.
Holiday Solid Waste Schedule (PDF) The Town of Christiansburg publishes a yearly collection schedule that is delivered to residents with their utility bills in January. These dates are subject to change. Please stay up to date with any solid waste collection schedule changes by subscribing to the Town’s Citizen Alert service at www.christiansburg.org/alerts. Also, follow the Town on Facebook at www.facebook.com/CburgVAGov for updates.
What time should I have my carts placed curbside on collection day?
Please have your garbage and recycling carts placed curbside for collection no later than 8 a.m. on your collection day. Your garbage and recycling may not be collected if it is placed curbside any later than 8 a.m.
What time should my cart be removed from the curbside following collection?
Carts should be removed from the curbside as soon as possible following collection. Carts must be retrieved from the curbside by the end of your collection day.
What if I still have questions?
A lot of your questions about solid waste collection can be answered by our Frequently Asked Questions page. Find answers regarding signing up for service, changing cart sizes, where to place your carts, what to do during inclement weather and more.
Should you still have unanswered questions, please call 540-382-1151.
Monthly Brush Collection
The Town of Christiansburg offers complimentary curbside brush collection to all residential properties within town limits. Collection will take place once a month beginning on the first Monday of the month. Residents must have brush piles placed out by 7 a.m. on the Monday of their collection week. In the event of high brush volume, residents can expect brush collection delays, but crews will continue collection until all routes are complete. Unlike Fall and Spring Cleanup, crews will not visit a residence more than once during the two week period. It’s imperative brush piles are placed out by 7 a.m. on the Monday of your collection week.
This service is for Town residential properties only—including residents who choose not to have solid waste collection - and is available at no additional cost. Brush is defined as tree limbs/logs from trimming or pruning trees. All collected brush must pass through a wood chipper, so the following will not be accepted: leaves, weeds, grass clippings, vines, other yard waste and construction materials. These items can be collected during Spring/Fall cleanup or by scheduling a special pickup through the Public Works department.
For additional information about Brush Collection, visit here.
Fall and Spring Clean Up
Fall and Spring Clean Up is held during April and October (approximate).
During this time, residents of the Town desiring special trash pick-up must place these materials with their garbage on the regular pick-up day. Special trucks will pick up extra items not appropriate for normal weekly pick-up. While there is no charge for items picked up during spring clean up, there will be a charge assessed for items placed out after this period.
During clean up, the Town will pick up tree and brush trimmings, old furniture, a maximum of two appliances, and up to four tires per household. These are the only times that these items will be removed free of charge by the Town.
Items must be placed within 10 feet of the street pavement and must be placed in piles separate from normal trash. Please separate brush from other materials. Loose materials must be placed in containers not exceeding 32 gallons. Citizens are encouraged to call Public Works at 540-382-1151 for clarification before placing out questionable items.
For additional information regarding Fall and Spring Clean Up, please visit here.
Pick Up Outside Clean Up Times
Outside of the fall and spring clean up times, Christiansburg residents seeking to dispose of tree and brush trimmings, old furniture, appliances, and tires can choose any of the following:
- Call 382-6120 to schedule a pick up of your materials at a cost of $25 per truckload, plus an additional landfill tipping fee. This service is available year-round. These charges and fees will be billed separately from your water utility bill.
- Haul the items directly to the Montgomery Regional Solid Waste Authority, located at 555 Authority Dr. Tipping fees apply.
- Hold the items until the clean-up time.
Household Hazardous Waste Collection
The Montgomery Regional Solid Waste Authority (MRSWA) accepts residential household hazardous waste (HHW) on the third Saturday of each month from 9 a.m. until 12 p.m. MRSWA is located at 555 Authority Drive, Christiansburg,VA 24073. Please note that registration is required before each event. To register, please call 540-381-2820, ext. 300. You must register no later than 24 hours prior to the event. No commercial hazardous materials are allowed. For information about service options for commercial businesses, please call MRSWA at 540-381-2820, ext. 300.
For more information, please contact the Montgomery Regional Solid Waste Authority at 540-381-2820 or visit their website.
Christmas Tree Collection
A separate, curbside collection for Christmas trees is provided each year. This collection usually begins at the beginning of January and lasts for 2 to 3 weeks. All lights and ornaments should be removed from the tree prior to placing it roadside for collection.
Loose Leaf Collection
The Town of Christiansburg conducts loose leaf collection within the corporate town limits during November and December of each year. Leaf collection will follow garbage collection routes, though leaves will not necessarily be collected on your specific garbage collection day. Leaf collection will last through the end of December or until collection is complete and as weather permits. Residents are urged to pile loose leaves at their street property line. Residents are asked, when possible, to not block drainage ditches, sidewalks, sanitary sewer clean outs, and utility meter boxes when raking leaves. Please do not pile leaves around trash carts. Leaf piles must be free of trash and brush.
- What is included in solid waste collection services?
- How do I sign up for solid waste collection service?
- Can I sign up for curbside recycling and not garbage collection or vice versa?
- How do I cancel my solid waste collection service?
- If I cancel my solid waste collection service, what will I do with my trash?
- When will my solid waste be collected?
- Will my solid waste be collected during severe winter weather?
- What will I do if I am physically challenged and unable to get my container to the street?
- Are there recycling drop sites in Town?
- Is curbside recycling available for businesses?
- When will I get my garbage and recycling carts?
- What size solid waste carts will I receive?
- Do I have to receive a recycling cart if I want solid waste services?
- What if I want a different size cart?
- Where should I place my carts on my collection day?
- What time do I have to have my cart out on my collection day?
- Where should I store my cart?
- What should I do if my cart is damaged or stolen?
- Should I place a bag in my cart before filling it with recyclables?
- What items are recyclable with curbside collection?
- Do I leave the lid on my containers or take them off before recyling?
- Do I have to rinse containers for recycling?
- Do I need to remove labels before recyling an item?
- Can I recycle plastic?
- Can I recycle glass?
- Can I recycle metal?
- What if I need additional solid waste carts?
- What if I have more solid waste than will fit in my carts?
- What if an item is too large to fit in my solid waste carts?
- What if I move within Town?
- What areas in Town are eligible to receive solid waste collection services?
- How do I clean my carts?
- Where may I place my cart in the event that there is a snow bank at the curb?
- My solid waste was not picked up today. Why not?
- When is spring and fall clean up?