Community Development Block Grant
The Christiansburg Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) program is funded through the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. The CDBG program encompasses the Annual Action Plan, the Consolidated Plan, and a Consolidated Annual Performance and Evaluation Report (CAPER). Citizen input is critical to this process and comment periods are advertised for one month in consideration of any plan or report.
Annual Action Plan
The Annual Action Plan outlines the activities the Town will undertake using Federal funds granted by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) under the Community Development Block Grant (CDBG). Programs and activities described in this plan are intended to primarily benefit low-income and moderate-income residents of the Town of Christiansburg, neighborhoods with high concentrations of low-income and moderate-income residents, and the Town as a whole.
The Town of Christiansburg has been allocated additional Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) funding under the CARES Act. These funds are intended to assist the Town of Christiansburg to prevent, prepare for and respond to the Coronavirus, through activities that support Low and Moderate Income (LMI) individuals and families. A proposed substantial amendment to the 2019 Annual Action Plan includes plans for the expenditure of these funds.
Ways to comment on the Town of Christiansburg 2019 Annual Action Plan Substantial Amendment:
- Provide any questions, comments, or suggestions by mailing the Town Manager’s Office, Town of Christiansburg, 100 E. Main Street, Christiansburg, VA 24073-3029, by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (540) 382-6120 x 1130. Comments will be received until 5 p.m. on June 23, 2020.
- Attend an electronic/Zoom public meeting on June 18, 2020 between 11 a.m. and 12 p.m. Please contact Town staff using the contact information above for information on joining the call.
- Speak at the Christiansburg Town Council Public Hearing on Tuesday, June 23, 2020 at 7:00 PM in the Council Room, Christiansburg Town Hall, 100 E. Main Street (check website for details on electronic participation). Town Council will consider the adoption of the Substantial Amendment.
In accordance with the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, temporarily waived certain requirements to allow for revisions to the citizen participation process for the approval of substantial amendments to the Annual Action Plan the need to expedite actions to respond to COVID-19 including:
- Expedited procedures must include notice and reasonable opportunity to comment of no less than 5 days. The 5-day period can run concurrently for comment on the consolidated and action plan amendments and amended citizen participation plans;
- In-person hearings are not required. Grantees may meet public hearing requirements with virtual public hearings if: 1) national/local health authorities recommend social distancing and limiting public gatherings for public health reasons; and 2) virtual hearings provide reasonable notification and access for citizens in accordance with the grantee’s certifications, timely responses from local officials to all citizen questions and issues, and public access to all questions and accommodation for persons with disabilities and non-English speaking residents will be provided upon request.
The Consolidated Plan outlines proposed activities for CDBG funding and specific activities for the program year beginning in 2017.
Consolidated Annual Performance and Evaluation Report (CAPER)
The Town of Christiansburg, as a recipient of Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) funding, is required by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) to prepare the Consolidated Annual Performance and Evaluation Report (CAPER).
The CAPER is an evaluation and performance report detailing accomplishments toward meeting the goals outlined in the 2017-2021 Consolidated Plan. The CAPER compares actual performance measures with the performance measures listed in the 2018 Annual Action Plan.
For any further information, please contact Andrew Warren at email@example.com or call (540) 382-6120 ext. 1130.