March 15, 2020 Update
March 15, 2020: Effective Mar. 16, historical records room and land record recording desk in the Montgomery County Clerk of the Circuit Court’s Office and the Montgomery-Floyd Regional Library branches are temporarily closed. In addition, passport services are temporarily suspended at the Clerk of the Circuit Court’s Office.
Montgomery-Floyd Regional Library Closure:
As a precautionary measure, Montgomery-Floyd Regional Library branches are closing Mar. 16-29. All events, programs, community room reservations, and outreach are cancelled during this closure.
During this period of time, there will be no overdue fines. Patrons are encouraged to keep the material they have checked out until the library branches re-open.
Please refer to mfrl.org/covid.php for official updates on Montgomery-Floyd Regional Library’s response to COVID-19 (coronavirus).
Montgomery County Clerk of the Circuit Court Proactively Modifies Operations:
In order to protect the health and safety of our employees, patrons, court staff, attorneys, and members of the public during this national state of emergency related to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Circuit Court Clerk is taking the following proactive measures, effective immediately:
1. ONLINE SERVICES. Members of the public are encouraged to utilize online services available to the public through https://www.montva.com/clerk-of-circuit-court and to avoid personal appearances in the Clerk’s office when possible during this emergency period.
2. PASSPORT SERVICES. Passport services are being suspended until further notice. You may access the following website to find locations to secure your passport nationwide: https://iafdb.travel.state.gov/DefaultForm.aspx. You are encouraged to contact the local offices to ensure availability prior to arriving at these locations.
3. LAND RECORDS. The historical records room and land record recording desk is closed until further notice. All land record services will be performed at the front counter to protect the health and safety of our employees. Patrons may continue to use the online services. To make land records accessible during this time of emergency, the Clerk will waive subscriber fees for the online records system for new users for the next thirty (30) days. To apply for access to land records online, please follow the directions contained on the following link: https://www.montgomeryvalandrecords.org/.
4. CIVIL FILINGS. Attorneys and their staff are encouraged to use the Virginia Judicial Electronic Filings System (VJFES) to file documents in the civil division. A link to the online application may be found at the following: http://www.courts.state.va.us/online/vjefs/pilotregistrationapplication.pdf. When possible, attorneys who do not use VJFES are encouraged to submit documents and filing fees for processing by first class mail, FedEx, or UPS.
5. COURT RECORDS. Attorneys and their staff are encouraged to seek remote access to the Circuit Court’s online imaging system, Officer of the Court Remote Access (OCRA) system for routine copies of all non-sealed civil and criminal court records. To request an application for OCRA or additional information, please contact the Clerk’s office at (540) 382-5760. To encourage use of this system during this emergency period, the Clerk will waive subscriber fees for new users for the next thirty (30) days. Public indices continue to be available at www.courts.state.va.us.
6. CRIMINAL FINES/RESTITUTION/COSTS/ETC. PAYMENTS. As a reminder, all fees, fines, penalties, and restitution payments in criminal cases may be paid online by following this link: https://www.montva.com/online-services/payments/payments. Payments may also be made by telephone at (540) 382-5760. Patrons are encouraged to submit all payments online or by phone and to avoid personal appearances in the Clerk’s office when possible during this emergency period.
7. IF YOU ARE ILL. Please avoid all personal appearances at the Clerk’s office. Staff will be available to answer telephone calls, emails, and faxed requests to the greatest extent possible during this time. We will continue to clean public areas and make hand sanitizer available to the extent possible at the public entrance to the Clerk’s office. Please use your best judgment in determining whether your request requires a personal appearance.
8. CLERK’S OFFICE CLOSURE. Pursuant to Virginia Code § 17.1-207(A)(3), the Clerk’s office will remain open, unless and until the Chief Judge or presiding Judge of this Circuit authorizes the closure of the Clerk’s office after a determination that operation of the Clerk’s office, under prevailing conditions, would constitute a threat to the health and safety of the Clerk’s office personnel or the general public. In the event that the Clerk’s office is closed by such order, the Clerk will post notices on the Montgomery County website and send notices to the Montgomery County Bar Association.
We recognize that these measures may pose an inconvenience to our employees, patrons, court staff, attorneys, and members of the public who require the services of the Clerk, and we ask for your patience and thank you for your assistance so that we can take all reasonably necessary measures to limit the risk of exposure, enact recommended policies of social distancing, and do our best to “flatten the curve” to protect the health and welfare of all Montgomery County residents during this emergency period.